Before I could use the bones they had to be boiled and buried and dug up and then buried again! I didn’t count on there being so much residue coming from the marrow bone, and so they have all now sat on the window sill through at least four seasons, maybe more. Every time I looked at those bones I was filled with dread. Would I ever be able to use them, I had had such big amazing over-the-top artistic ideas to begin with, and one by one they faded away. So looking at those bones was like looking at a failure.
creating. I would work at the dinner table, and then have to pack up everything so my family could sit there
for their meals. I think I started to see a change in my approach to my art work around 4 years ago, when I set up my work bench in a corner of the living room, and then cleared out the “spare” room and took it over.
Now I could leave a project to sit and stew, I could walk away without needing to clear away. And I could come and go so easily. I would also look in as I passed the room, and on more than one occasion have had an insight in that instant, that made perfect sense for the piece I was working on. Now that I had created
the space, I believe I had created a shift in my work ethic too. I still get that desire to push out a work quickly. But now I can also come back to an image and work it again and again, until I get it right. I have realised this most recently with Blessings. She started as an inspiration card and has moved up into a beautiful piece of fine art.
So there you have it. A little peak into my world, and my mind, around why it takes the time it does for my art to be created. (Now I need another menial task to assist me in thinking about how those bones are going to come together with the Photo Emulsion Collograph technique. Time to bring the washing in!)
If you haven't read the Photo Emulsion Collograph Experiment, find it here: http://www.jadeleespavey.com/2/post/2013/09/photo-emulsion-collograph-plate-experiment.html